Chairman: Mr John Jackett 01872-572449
Secretary: Miss Jean White 01872-572337
Recorder: Mr Derek Brooks Tel: 01872 573417
Annual Subscription: £5.00
Villagers may not be aware that many local views, past and present, are being added to our website - courtesy of John Thornton Design, by our Recorder Derek Brooks.
If you would wish to have any old views of Goonhavern Village or of our immediate local area, displayed in this manner, please feel to get in touch with Derek 01872 573417 or John Jackett 01872 572449 (Chairman), any original photographs, with the owners consent, will be scanned and handed back as soon as possible, before they are added to the above website. If it is more convenient, they may be forwarded by email email@example.com
Colours: Dark Grey & Orange
(Representing the Mine Waste and Iron Water from the Mines)
The logistics of moving the equivalent of 14 miles of shelving of Cornish records, was explained with great humour by Kresen Kernow archivist David Thomas, at our February meeting.
Detailing the relatively short history of the Cornwall Records Office first established in 1951, moving to Old County Hall in 1964, acquiring the site of the former Redruth Brewery in 2012, funding in 2015, closing its doors for 13 months enabling transfers and finally opening in September 2019.
The centre, incorporates many original features of the brewery, reclaimed pillars and particularly the impressive chimney, has features for all: visits of school children, students, local groups, historians and of course genealogists - of which Chairman John Jackett knows only too well, adding anecdotes of his own research, when thanking David.
Muriel, Pat and Joyce of the ladies committee, served tea and biscuits at the close.
On Fri 27th Mar, Society recorder Derek Brooks will give Part 1 of his presentation about our very own former local branch railway line, entitled “Perranwell to Gravel Hill”. Part 2 follows in April.
Visitors will be made very welcome at a charge of £1.00 admission.
St Agnes author and historian Clive Benney shared a selection of his findings from the loft space of the Whitworth family residence, accumulated by 5 generations of village doctors, to members and several visitors at our January meeting, extra seating was required.
Spanning around 120 years, the 250 glass slide images found in 4 wooden boxes and an indexed post card collection now housed in St Agnes museum. Names and places all neatly indexed – what an insight into St Agnes village life.
With motor transport in later years further afield across Cornwall. Patient dedication was shown when a mineshaft opened at the rear of the garage, not deterred, the front garage wall was demolished and the Doctor made his rounds.
Jean and Carolyn were congratulated on the excellent January luncheon arrangements. Our April speaker is changed to allow our recorder Derek to continue with Part 2 of his local railway talk. The ladies committee of Muriel, Pat and Joyce served tea and biscuits.
On Fri 28th Feb, “Kresen Kernow centre, Redruth (Cornwall records office)” will be explained by archivist David Thomas. Visitors will be made very welcome at a charge of £1.00 admission.
Visitors joined 36 members at our September meeting, when family descendant Philip Hosken of H.T.P., gave his presentation of their trading years from 1852 to 1936.
Launched in 1890 with a floatation of £17.5 millions (at todays value), Hosken, Trevithick and Polkinghorn & Co Ltd were quickly linked by marriages to the Rosewarne family and later Harvey of Hayle.
HTP stamped on their flour bags may have been Hayle, Truro and Plymouth as their business empire expanded, largely by buying up debtors businesses of Flour Mills, Woollen mills, ships and later motors. Despite the set back of several fires, the company were the largest local employer and their fleets of vehicles from steam to motor driven, also indicated their growth.
Company secretaries handled all of the correspondence, vehicle drivers and salesmen – some corrupt - tried to keep a tally of the business, whilst the Chairman and Directors were based miles apart. The AGM of 1913 brought things to a head, auditors and shareholders that year called for an EGM and heads began to roll.
Truronians will know the HTP motor business on Lemon Quay, previously a modest garage next to the family home in Princes street.
In 1934 Mountford of Plymouth became joint owners, Western Motor Holdings took over in 1939 continuing the trading title of HTP.
The Flour Mill building built in 1911 along Malpas road, became Spillers and later W.C.A.
Chairman John Jackett thanked Philip, also the ladies committee for tea at the conclusion.
2020 calendars are now available through society recorder Derek.
On Fri 25th Oct, Roger Radcliffe will speak of the Coastline of St Agnes, Perran Feast will be celebrated with members supper. Visitors will be made very welcome at a charge of £1.00 admission.
The Coastline of St Agnes - October 2019
From high above St Agnes Beacon, an aerial view towards the Atlantic, emphasised the huge area of tin mine excavation spoils of Trevaunance to Polberro, as explained to members by Roger Radcliffe at our October meeting, in part 3 of his excellent series, exploring his home coastline in great detail.
In obtaining his illustrations from the waters edge, Roger emphasised the necessity to wait for the spell after the set of waves, to launch safely by kayak. Roger illustrated with before and after images the great changes in the area, previously buildings for the herring industry and the finest tin in Cornwall, now replaced with Grand Design homes with walls obscuring sea views, but the bat colony is protected.
Comparing 120 years old photos recently obtained by St Agnes museum, the sand levels in Trevaunance are lower by at least 12 feet, or as Roger illustrated: “Twice the height of those 2 ladies plus their dog”.
Menu selection for our January luncheon is on the notice board, the ladies committee of Mary, Muriel and Pat served members supper to celebrate Perran Feast.
On Fri 29th Nov, “The history and functions of the Town Crier” will be explained by Roger Bennett. Visitors will be made very welcome at a charge of £1.00 admission.
. We have cancelled our April meeting and will review our May meeting in due course..